How To Make Weed Tea With Stems
If you’ve ever grown your own weed, you’ve probably found yourself with a bunch of leftover stems and no idea what to do with them. You could make a batch of cannabutter with some of your stems, but another option is to make weed stem tea, a quick and easy way to use them up and make something tasty.
Weed stem tea can be made a couple of different ways depending on the effects you want to achieve, which can either be mildly psychoactive or just flavored like the cannabis plant.
The easiest method for weed stem tea is to simply grind up the stems and use them in place of any loose leaf tea. Just boil the water and add your stems using a metal tea ball or reusable tea bag, giving them several minutes to steep before straining and cooling. You can do this with just stems, or you can add other loose leaf tea like peppermint, black tea, or green tea for extra flavor. Once your tea has cooled, you can add creamer, cinnamon, or sugar to taste. This type of weed stem tea will not be psychoactive as cannabinoids like THC are fat soluble and not water soluble, but it still makes a tasty cup of herbal tea.
If a simple steeped stem tea is not what you’re looking for, you can use a slightly different method with a fat-based milk, which will extract some cannabinoids and flavonoids and can be added to any cup of hot tea.
- ¼ cup cannabis stems (more or less depending on your desired potency)
- 1 cup half and half
- 3 cups water
- Loose leaf tea (we recommend a black or chai tea that goes well with milk)
- Grind the stems with a coffee grinder to increase the surface area and extract more cannabinoids.
- Add the half and half to a saucepan and bring to a boil on medium-high heat.
- Add the ground stems to the milk and boil for 6-8 minutes, stirring often to avoid over-boiling or burning.
- Strain the milk and herb mixture into a cup using a coffee or tea filter until you have about a half cup of liquid.
- It might take a couple minutes for all the liquid to make it through the filter, so be patient.
- Brew 3 cups of your favorite tea to mix with the milk mixture, ideally a black tea like chai that tastes nice with milk. To further mask the potent milk mixture, double the amount of tea leaves you’d normally brew.
- Combine ¼ cup of your half and half mixture with some tea in a large mug and sweeten with raw honey or sugar as needed. Enjoy!
How To Make Cannabis Tea With Flowers
Cannabis tea can also be made using the flowers that are dried and ground up to smoke. This will be much more potent and psychoactive than tea made with stems, as the butter used will extract more THC and other cannabinoids.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- ½ gram ground cannabis flowers
- ½ teaspoon butter
- 1 ½ cups water
- Honey, to taste
- Metal tea ball or reusable tea bag
- Combine your buds and butter and place the mixture in the tea ball or bag.
- Add the water to a saucepan and bring it to a simmer on medium-high heat, avoiding a full boil.
- Simmer the tea bag in the water for 25-30 minutes, watching the heat closely and reducing it if the water starts to boil. Add more water if it gets low to keep it from going dry.
- For tea that does not taste like pure cannabis, drop in a green or black tea bag of your choice during the last 3 minutes of simmering.
- Remove the mixture from heat, remove the bag, and allow it to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add honey or sugar to taste. Be sure to sip slowly and remember that the effects can take as long as an hour to kick in.
The potency of your weed tea made with flowers will depend on the quality of bud you use, the amount in each cup, your tolerance level and experience with cannabis, and various other factors.